Welcome to the Nova Scotia Freemasons website. 

Most Worshipful Grand Master - John Millar Cody

To become a Freemason Ask a Freemason

Nova Scotia Concordant Bodies

The Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Canada  Knights Templar of Canada   The Grand Chapter of Holy Royal Arch Masons of Nova Scotia

Philae Shriners  Royal and Select Masters Eastern Jurisdiction of Canada  Footsteps of the Masters


Member Log In

Masonic Foundation of Nova Scotia

The mission of the Masonic Foundation of Nova Scotia is to encourage the active practice of the Masonic Principles of Benevolence and Charity, and to promote a positive image of Freemasonry in the Community.

Contact The Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia

Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia
167 Coronation Avenue
Halifax, NS, Canada B3N 2N2
Telephone: (902) 423-6149
Fax: (902) 423-6254

The Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia

Minas #67

You are here

Meeting Information
Meeting Night: 
Third Monday except July & August
Meeting Time: 
Installations Month: 
Installations Time: 
Installations Location: 
Masonic Temple 159 Main Street
Lodge Information
Lodge Number: 
Street Address: 
Masonic Temple 159 Main Street
Lodge contact information: 

From Halifax: Take highway 102 to Exit 15 at Truro, Exit onto Highway 104. Take 104 to Exit 12 at Glenholme, Exit onto Route 2 (Glooscap Trail). Follow Route 2 into Parrsboro. (Approx. 70 KM) From Amherst: Take Highway 104 to Exit 14, then take Route 302 to Southampton where it meets Route No. 2. Turn right onto route 2 to Parrsboro . At the Town Hall keep going straight, you will be on Main St. The Lodge is diectly opposite the Cenotaph.

On Street.

Lodge Officers
Ruling Master: 
.W.Bro. William Kyle
Senior Warden: 
Bro. David Gilbert
Junior Warden: 
W. Bro. Leonard Hiseler
W. Bro. CE(Rick Harvey)
Associate Secretary: 
Bro Gary Nymark
Bro. Gerald Cormier
Lodge History and Information
Other Lodge Information: 

Minas Lodge was formed in 1872 after a few citizens of the town requested the permission of the Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia to form a Freemason's Lodge in Parrsboro. The request was favourably received, special dispensation was granted and the first meeting was held in August 1872, The Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia granted the Charter June 4th 1873. It was signed by M.W.G.M. Wimburn Laurie and Grand Secretary Benjamin Curren.

The Charter members were the Rev. Thomas W. Johnson,W.M.; Sampson Moore;S.W., W.F. Jones,J.W.; John W. Choisnet, Treasurer; Robert B. Dickson, Secretary; Thomas Page, George Allen, Thomas R. Crane and Benjamin Young.

Notes on the Charter Members:

Rev. Thomas W. Johnson was the Anglican clergyman at that time. It was largely through his efforts that the Lodge was formed. He remained Master of the Lodge until 1874 and raised no less than nineteen men in a little over one year.

Sampson Moore was a great grandson of Sampson Moore of Connecticut who was one of the first settlers of Truro.

W.F. Jones was a native of Maine. While in Parrsboro, he carried on extensive lumber operations. When the Town was incorporated in 1889 he was elected Mayor and served in that capacity until 1892.

John W. Choisnet was a sea Captain. His son Jules was also a member of Minas Lodge.

Benjamin Young was another lumberman from Maine. At different times he owned some of the most valuable timberlands along the shore.

Robert Dickson was a son of Jesse Dickson, one of the first residents of Spring Street. He was a carpenter and helped build the first Methodist church, once used as an Opera House. He taught school in 1849 and served as clerk of the District Board of School Commissioners from 1850 - 1863. He died a very young man.

Thomas Crane was a sea captain, George Allen, a ships carpenter and Thomas Page's occupation is unknown.

The first lodge meetings were held in a building owned by William Eaton, situated to the rear of Eaton's store. In a a very short time this room was abandoned and quarters were found on the upper floor of the Parrsboro Drug Store. They later moved to the Holmes building where they rented a room from the Oddfellows. In 1914 the Masons decided to have a building of their own and they bought the building.

This building was destroyed by fire in December 1921. The earliest minute books and much of the historical record of the Lodge was lost in this fire. They rented the Knight's Room in Smith's Hall until 1923. The cornerstone of the present building was laid on September 26th 1922.

To put the beginning of Minas Lodge in historical perspective; it was formed five years prior to the construction of the railroad in 1877, seventeen years prior to the incorporation of the Town and twenty seven years before the Town put in electric lighting.

Masonic Event Calendar

Lodge Events

Grand Master Event Calendar

Grand Master's Upcoming Events